Friday, January 27, 2012

1890's striped Bodice





From the seller:

This exceptional bodice dates to the Victorian 1890’s and is fashioned of a rich patterned striped French silk jacquard with massive balloon puffs atop the shoulders, fitted bottom sleeves with stiff buckram lined bottom cuffs trimmed in metallic braid and small shimmering sequins that matches the trimming of the high band collar. The collar hooks closed at a dart point, fully boned in the interior and lined in polished cotton. The only flaw is that several small sequins are absent and a minor water stain on the inner collar lining only. Measures 32 inches around the bust, 24 inches around the waist, and 18 inches in center rear length.

From Me:
I love the trim around the neck line.

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Its like the circus has come to town. But gorgeous!
    Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has nothing on this one I posted :
      http://extantgowns.blogspot.com/2012/02/late-1890s-colorful-bodice.html

      This looks perfectly demure compared to that one. :-)

      Delete
  2. I remember that one. That would be the clown at the circus. Amazing how colorful the staid Victorians were. This is why I love seeing real clothes, and not just the b&w photos. I also love reading your comments on these gowns.
    BTW, I saw one of your earlier posts asking your readers to identify ourselves. You've probably met/ran across me already, either on LiveJournal or Facebook. I'm in the San Diego Costume Guild, and Costumers Guild West, and friend of many GBACG members.
    Val LaBore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank! I'm not on facebook -in real life, I'm a computer anaylst and Facebook is far scarier than google is right now, even with the changes- but I have been on livejournal for many years. I know a few people out your way and I'm sure you've met some of my friends that go out to Costume College every year. Do you know Aubry? She won for her spotty dress outfit last year at the New Jersey Costume Con. Granted, she lives out on the east coast, but I know she goes out every year for Costume College. Too bad I can't make it!

      Delete
  3. Yes, I do know Aubry, and her twin, Katherine. :) I know a lot of the ladies at Historic Williamsburg too. It's a small world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I love them both. :-) I just attended 12th Night at Williamsburg back in Jan. I love going there and hope to go back again next year. It's too bad Under the Redcoat got cancelled.

    ReplyDelete